The Majority Staff Report on Starbucks is a report commissioned by Senator Bernie Sanders, which examines the employment practices and labor conditions of Starbucks and was released March 26, 2023. The report finds that Starbucks has engaged in a number of practices that have negatively impacted its employees, including inadequate wages, insufficient benefits, and erratic scheduling. It also criticizes the company for its anti-union stance and for spending millions on executive compensation while neglecting its workers.
The Majority Staff Report on Starbucks highlights the following findings:
- Inadequate wages: Starbucks' wages are often insufficient to cover the basic needs of its employees, who are forced to rely on government assistance to make ends meet.
- Insufficient benefits: Starbucks' benefits package is limited and often inaccessible to many of its workers, who are not offered health insurance or paid time off.
- Erratic scheduling: Starbucks' scheduling practices are often unpredictable and make it difficult for workers to plan their lives outside of work.
- Anti-union stance: Starbucks has a history of opposing unionization efforts by its workers, which limits their ability to advocate for better working conditions.
- Executive compensation: Starbucks has spent millions of dollars on executive compensation while neglecting its workers.
The report concludes with a series of recommendations for how Starbucks can improve the treatment of its employees, including raising wages, providing more stable schedules, and allowing workers to unionize.
Published March 26, 2023